Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Polly Pocket Mansion

I realized I haven't posted anything in a while, and there's some big news. I'm buying a house! Last month -- the week of my birthday, actually -- I visited a teeny-weeny house that is actually in my price range, and I loved it.

Last year, I remember entering my budget into an online calculator that helps you figure out how much house you can afford. It gave me a negative number.
I'm not even joking.

This year, my tax refund, some savings, the first-time homebuyer tax credit opportunity, and a down payment assistance grant enabled me to put 20 percent down on a 444-square-foot house.

You read that right. 444. According to the aldermen in my city, it's the smallest free-standing house in town. When I called home inspectors to get estimates, all of them either laughed, asked me to repeat the number, or thought I said fourteen-hundred-forty-four square feet.

Currently, a young married couple, their baby and their dog live there. It's a very tight fit, but it'll be perfect for me.

My Polly Pocket Mansion.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your note and for stopping by! I purchased the Family Rules sign through GroopDealz from My Treehouse Treasures on Etsy. I love it and her shop! Here is the link to shop :)

    http://www.etsy.com/shop/mytreehousetreasures

    Enjoy!
    Alyssa
    www.SweetSewnStitches.com

    ReplyDelete